Zfs & MacPorts

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Mon Sep 29 21:19:40 PDT 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 11:55 PM, Charles Darwin wrote:

> On 29-Sep-08, at 1:43 PM, Eric Cronin wrote:

>> Also keep in mind that with zfs its possible to just do "zfs set
>> mountpoint=/opt mypool/macports" and then the default location (/
>> opt) is under ZFS.  I don't think this confuses the finder/carbon
>> apps any more than the /Volumes/mypool/myfilesystem mountpoints do
>> already.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric
>
> Would you care to elaborate please? Thanks

Which part?

If you just install the macports .pkg or build from source and run
make install, the infrastructure all lives under /opt/local.  Because
"filesystems" in ZFS are very lightweight it's trivial to make pretty
much any subtree of your filesystem live on ZFS by setting the
mountpoint attribute:

[baldrick] ecronin% sudo zfs create fw-pool/MacPorts
[baldrick] ecronin% ls /Volumes/fw-pool/MacPorts
[baldrick] ecronin% ls /opt
ls: /opt: No such file or directory
[baldrick] ecronin% sudo zfs set mountpoint=/opt fw-pool/MacPorts
[baldrick] ecronin% ls /Volumes/fw-pool/MacPorts
ls: /Volumes/fw-pool/MacPorts: No such file or directory
[baldrick] ecronin% ls /opt
[baldrick] ecronin% mount  | grep /opt
fw-pool/MacPorts on /opt (zfs, local)
[baldrick] ecronin% df /opt
Filesystem         Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
fw-pool/MacPorts  206Gi   19Ki  206Gi     1%    /opt

To unix-heritage programs there's nothing unusual about having a
filesystem anchored at an arbitrary location in the filesystem.  To
the Finder and other mac-heritage programs, however, each mount
corresponds to an entry in /Volumes and a disk at the top of the
device hierarchy in open/save windows for example.  There's still a
fair bit of odd behavior with zfs in these situations, but I don't
think setting mountpoint=somewhere makes things better or worse.

Thanks,
Eric