Install mysql in multiple spots

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 6 03:13:05 PDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 20:43, Adam Bodnar wrote:

> Is there anyway to tell macports to let me install mysql again in
> another directory?
>
> I've already installed it in /opt/local/lib/mysql5 and it's subsequent
> directories such as etc and var/db.
>
> In order to test new versions of mysql or install a second copy, it'd
> be nice if I can tell macports to install a second copy, in something
> like /opt/local/lib/mysql5-2.
>
> Now obviously I can go the route of using the official mysql package,
> but it's always nice to use macports when possible.

You can only install one copy of mysql5 (or any other port) with one
installation of MacPorts.

If you want a second copy of mysql5 (which you would configure to run
on a different port and with different data files), you can install a
second copy of MacPorts. You would need to build this second copy
yourself from source, to install into a path other than /opt/local.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/
InstallingMacPorts#InstallMacPortsfromsourcetoanypathexceptusrlocal

Note that you must also remember to use the configure flags to tell
it to put applications, frameworks and most especially the tcl
package in different locations so that it doesn't overwrite the ones
your first MacPorts uses.

For example, to install into /opt/macports2:

PREFIX=/opt/macports2

./configure \
--prefix=$PREFIX \
--with-tclpackage=$PREFIX/Library/Tcl \
--with-applications-dir=$PREFIX/Applications \
--with-frameworks-dir=$PREFIX/Library/Frameworks \
--enable-readline

make

sudo make install