Readline fails to build (yet again)

lists at mgreg.com lists at mgreg.com
Mon Apr 6 07:41:09 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm attempting to install several items that depend on "readline" -- a
couple of which are "unixODBC" and "FreeTDS".  I'm getting the
following errors during the process:

install: you may need to run ldconfig
Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: no such file or directory
Warning: the following items did not execute (for readline):
org.macports.activate org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: readline

I apologize in advance for the seemingly repetitive nature of my
question (as it seems that folks are constantly having trouble with
readline), but I'm completely stuck.  I have seen answers to similar
issues, but nothing is working.  I've sync'ed, updated, upgraded, etc
and nothing seems to fix it.

Although the errors seem rather straightforward, I'm not clear on how
to proceed.  I've googled each line individually and none of the
encountered "fixes" addressed this particular issue. Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Michael