Macports X11 damaged?

Gerhard G. ggrubbish at web.de
Tue Apr 7 12:36:03 PDT 2009

Am Dienstag, 7. April 2009 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
Hello Jeremy,
thank you very much for your answer. You shed some light on the whole
stuff for me.
> I'd recommend this if you're on Leopard:
I'm not I'm on Tiger/PPC
> rm -rf /opt/local
> Install http://xquartz.macosforge.org
> Install Macports
> sudo port -v selfupdate
> sudo port -v install xpdf
>
> be happy.
Thank you I'll try that when I'll switch to Leopard/Intel.
> > The apple xserver under Tiger is a bit outdated isn't it?Some apps
> >   won't
> > compile against the apple x11 under PPC.
>
> That's correct.  Some apps look for the pkg-config files.  It's a
> PITA   to support the old monolithic X11.  If you're on Tiger, your
> best bet is to NEVER THINK about using system_x11 unless you intend
> to live with or fix all the bugs you're gonna run in to.
Thank you for this hint too.
> > http://www.nabble.com/X11-problem--td21904512.html
> > Quote:
> > "Yes, this is expected behaviour. X had historically been an
> > exception to
> > the "MacPorts uses its own stuff" rule, for various reasons. Those
> > reasons no longer apply, so the exception is gone.
> >
> > If you really want the old behaviour back, you can use the
> > +system_x11 variant (best to add it to variants.conf)."
> >
> > I'm afraid, that it wasn't that  good to follow that workaround...
>
> As mentioned, it's al ok workaround for most ports, but you can't
> casually switch between that variant being on and off without
> rebuilding your system.

I'm not able to fix those bugs on my own, and prefer to stay with a
proper installation ;-)

I might answer more detailed after easter.

Thanks a lot.
Kind regards

Gerhard G.