sysadmin: is there a manifesto on environment settings for macports?

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Fri Apr 10 14:30:21 PDT 2009

Hi Rainer,

I've had some difficulty with the VTK library when I try to get dynamic
libraries working under macports.  See
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19000

I could use some help with understanding how to get rpath working under
macports (if that is THE way to go), given that VTK uses CMAKE settings to
configure the RPATH or the INSTALL_RPATH and the settings that I've tried so
far get "corrupted" during the macports build process because it uses a
destroot setting.  I've thought about a postdestroot hack using
'install_name_tool' but there may be a better way to get it right.

For me, the bigger picture is creating an open-source scientific application
that will depend on VTK, among other libraries, and macports may provide the
foundation for the distribution process on OSX.

Best, Darren