port dependents foo

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 11 13:43:24 PDT 2009

I would have expected port dependents foo to tell me all the things
that depend in any way on foo.  If I understand correctly what I am
seeing, it tells me only what has run-time dependencies on foo.  I can
understand that after installing bar it would be safe to uninstall foo
if bar had only a build dependency on it.   However, what if bar has a
library dependency on foo?  If I uninstall foo does that kill its
libraries breaking bar or does it leave behind all the libraries in
which case how does one keep from ending up with a hopelessly
cluttered system?

Lenore