Tweaking a Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 18 22:50:09 PDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 07:57, vincent habchi wrote:

>> You may want to consider splitting the port into two ports, one
>> for the backend and one for the frontend, so that you can handle
>> their universality separately.
>
> Of course you're right, that's the easiest path. I was hoping to be
> able to follow a steeper way, without having to split, which is
> going to be also a pain, since the package is bundled in one piece
> with recursive calls to configures in subdirectories.

A different way would be to build the portfile to build the backend,
and then in the post-configure, post-build, post-destroot phases you
could additionally build the frontend, using alternate parameters.
But this might not be any easier than my first suggestion, if
upstream has not provided easy ways to build these parts separately.
If this is the case, you may want to ask why upstream does not do
this, since it sounds like there are different needs when building
each part.