sudo port install trac +mysql +postgres (install errors)

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Apr 19 20:55:33 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:19:08PM -0500, Bill Hernandez said:
[...]
> After two weeks of trying to install 'subversion and trac', I finally got
> them installed.
>
> HOWEVER, I THEN FOLLOWED the two howto's :
> ------------------
> ( 1 ) How to setup Subversion client or server (I have this one working)
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/Subversion
>
> Got SVN working as advertised, found only one small error in the
> tutorial.

I've not used that particular howto so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but
being a wiki you can make improvements yourself if you feel motivated.

[...]
> I also found somewhere else on the web that you had to add a user to
> /svn/MVC_Project/conf/passwd in order to get svn to work remotely, so I
> did.

I believe this only applies to remote access via svnserver, but if you use
apache then you let apache deal with auth issues and the passwd file in the
svn conf dir is unneeded.

[...]
> ( 2 ) How to use Trac with ajp-wsgi and Apache  (This is did NOT work for
> me)
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SetupTracAjpWsgi
>
> I got trac to come up on  the browser,  but every time I clicked on any of
> the links I got errors similar to these :
>
> ( A ) Warning: Can't synchronize with the repository (Couldn't open
> Subversion repository /svn/MVC_Project: SubversionException: ("Couldn't
> perform atomic initialization", 200029)). Look in the Trac log for more
> information.
>
> ( B ) Repository checkins event provider (ChangesetModule) failed:
> TracError: Couldn't open Subversion repository /svn/MVC_Project:
> SubversionException: ("Couldn't perform atomic initialization", 200029)

I believe these issues are related to a message you first encountered
(below) when setting up the trac projects.

> I FOUND A TICKET REFERENCING A PROBLEM WHICH APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN FIXED
> (but maybe not) : http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/8199
>
> SUGGESTION : A lot of the confusion for me had to do with clicking on the
> links that took me back to trac.edgewall.org, because which steps to
> accomplish were not all that clear, the naming conventions were
> different. I have now spent the last four days trying to get trac working
> to no avail. I would love to see someone follow the exact instructions at
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SetupTracAjpWsgi and see if they have
> any better luck. If they manage to get it working maybe they could include
> any missing steps. Thanks for all the effort, but at least for me I have
> started from  scratch several times to see what I might have missed, and
> have not been successful.

Some of this howto is not too specific due to the myriad ways these various
bits of software can be set up (eg, one project per repo for svn, one shared
root for trac, etc).  Trying to cover all possibilities would make an
enormous document, and trying to make it only cover one method means
everyone would be stuck with that one particular setup; the latter would
have issues for anyone with an already-existing install of some of it who is
trying to add onto it.

Note that having writting that particular howto I can say that it can work
though it is entirely possible that something has been missed as this is the
first bit of feedback I've had concerning it.  Note also that the current
incarnation is written from a 10.5-point-of-view, though one issue between
10.5 and 10.4 is _www vs. www user names which it appears you've figured
out.

> It would be nice to have a trac howto like  the one for subversion, that
> if you start at the top and follow every single instruction, when you get
> down to the bottom, and try it, it works. I wish I knew more, if I did, I
> would gladly volunteer to do it...
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> Bill Hernandez
> Plano, Texas

[...]
> [2009.19.04](06:52PM) -> [roscoe] ~ $ mkdir /trac
>
> [2009.19.04](06:59PM) -> [roscoe] ~ $ trac-admin /trac/MVC_Project
> initenv
[...]
> Path to repository [/path/to/repos]> /svn/MVC_Project

[...]
> Warning: couldn't index the repository.

This, I believe, is the cause of your problems, when you first initialized
the trac environment, it wasn't able to properly hook up to subversion.  The
first thing is to make sure permissions are correct across the board; since
you'll be using apache (user www) for access to trac, and I'm guessing svn
access if you use apache+DAV, then www needs to have access to
/svn/MVC_Project as well.  Also, you need to be the www user when you setup
the trac environment by running trac-admin.

Bryan

[...]