apache and mysql5 variants

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 02:31:50 PDT 2009

On Apr 22, 2009, at 04:00, Scott Haneda wrote:

> Was adding the usual mamp stuff to a new machine
>
> port install mysql5 +server
>  - or -
> port install mysql5-devel +server
>
> Does the only thing the +server variant adds is a launchd/startup
> item?  From looking at the port, that appears to be the case.

Basically, yes. It also creates a few directories that are only
needed when running a MySQL server, and prints instructions.

> If that is the case, looking at
> port info apache2
>
> Variants:    darwin, darwin_7, darwin_9, eventmpm, no_startupitem,
> openbsd,
>              openldap, preforkmpm, universal, workermpm
>
> 'no_startupitem' I assume is the same launchd/startup scenario?
> Perhaps this could be consistent?  I would vote for the +server
> method, since it makes sense, saying +server implies you want it up
> all the time, beyond a reboot.
>
> This would mean, `port install apache2 +server` would become the
> new method for accomplishing this.
>
> Thoughts?

With apache2 there is virtually zero reason to not install it as a
server. I would delete the no_startupitem variant, except that it is
present due to someone's request.

With MySQL, there is a reason to not install it as a server: perhaps
you only want to have a MySQL client, and connect to a MySQL server
running on a different computer.

The +server variant will be deleted from the mysql5/mysql5-devel/
mysql4/mysql3 ports and new mysql5-server/mysql4-server/mysql3-server
ports will be created instead. See #12313.