reinstalling macports

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 14:09:08 PDT 2009

Darren Weber wrote:
> I've got a corrupted registry (receipts).

Do you know which receipt it is?

I assume this the issue with using \n in the
description/long_description as you did in your gdb port. In this case,
you could fix it by editing the receipt by hand. A valid receipt should
have only two lines. The first is the version number, the second one
contains all the information about the port.

If there was some \n in the description/long_description, these new
lines are written into this receipt file as actual new lines. So, to get
a working receipt again, remove the new lines by joining these lines to
a single one.

You will find the receipt at
/opt/local/var/macports/receipts/<name>/<composite_version>/receipt.bz2

These are compressed, but plain text. Uncompress, edit and compress
again (or if you know vim, it will do it automatically for you).

If my guess above was wrong, please show the receipt file in question
and describe what you did.

Rainer