Port minimum

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Apr 23 16:32:18 PDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Scott Haneda wrote:
>> Can someone point me to how to make a most basic of ports, its only
>> job would be to add users and groups.  I know how to install a local
>> port.  Thanks
>
> So you don't need any fetch/configure/build etc.? What would be the
> purpose of this port?
>
> As added users are not even removed automatically at the moment, I
> don't
> see why you would need a port just to add a user

Because I can not get dscl to play nice.  I need a user of vmail and a
group of vmail with u and g id of 5000.

I have made more complex ports in the past that added users, and those
always worked.  Since I can not get a OS X user made on the cli, I
figure, I can coax ports into doing the work for me.

This is back to my other threads on postfix/dovecot/mysql

I seem to be able to auth against mysql, pop login via telnet, I can
telnet to port 25 and start an smtp email, and even imap login.  I
have not bothered with the ssl/tls parts of the above protocols yet.

When I do an smtp telnet to 25, set mail from rcpt to, data, and then
send an email, it queues it, but looking at the log, I end up with
this, which leads me to belive a permissions or user/group issue.
Mail can not be delivered for some reason.

Apr 23 16:23:02 catalyst postfix/pipe[49273]: fatal: get_service_attr:
unknown username: vmail
Apr 23 16:23:03 catalyst postfix/qmgr[49216]: warning: private/dovecot
socket: malformed response
Apr 23 16:23:03 catalyst postfix/qmgr[49216]: warning: transport
dovecot failure -- see a previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record
for the problem description
Apr 23 16:23:03 catalyst postfix/master[43394]: warning: process /opt/
local/libexec/postfix/pipe pid 49273 exit status 1
Apr 23 16:23:03 catalyst postfix/master[43394]: warning: /opt/local/
libexec/postfix/pipe: bad command startup -- throttling

Very few people seem to have gotten this to work on OS X.  Very few as
in I believe I know of one other person, there is nothing at all out
there from others on OS X making this combo work.

I am poking the postfix mailing list as well, see what that gets me.
The portfile certainly needs a few patches, but I need to figure out
what they are first, then I can submit a diff.