port upgrade outdated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 26 17:06:19 PDT 2009

On Apr 26, 2009, at 18:09, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Rainer Müller wrote:
>> Thomas De Contes wrote:
>>> --->  Staging atk into destroot
>>> [...]
>>> /bin/sh: line 1: gtkdoc-rebase: command not found
>>> make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 127
>>> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>>> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>
>>> --->  Staging pango into destroot
>>> [...]
>>> /bin/sh: line 1: gtkdoc-rebase: command not found
>>> make[3]: *** [install-data-local] Error 127
>>> make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>>> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
>>> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>
>> Could be a missing dependency on gtk-doc in both cases.
>
> See <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18958>.
>
> I didn't investigate yet, but probably the fix for pango should
> also be
> applied to atk?

I initially thought that the current situation in e.g. glib2 was bad:
software that uses gtk-doc checks to see if gtkdoc-rebase exists, and
if so, calls it. I thought this would cause the port to install
different files, depending on whether gtk-doc was installed or not.
But it turns out that the software doesn't build the documentation
unless you use the configure arg --enable-gtk-doc. It's off by
default. Don't know what gtkdoc-rebase does, but maybe it just
rebuilds an index of available documentation, and therefore has no
real effect without --enable-gtk-doc.

The problem is that the method used to check whether gtkdoc-rebase
exists doesn't work on Mac OS X 10.4.x and earlier. The bug has been
reported to the developers of gtk-doc and will allegedly be fixed in
gtk-doc 1.12. Then each software that uses gtk-doc will have to
release a new package built with gtk-doc 1.12.

For pango, I added --enable-gtk-doc to have it rebuild the docs. The
build went rather quick so this seemed fine. I'm now investigating
glib2, which takes a *long* time to build its docs, so I don't want
to --enable-gtk-doc there. I haven't tried atk yet.

So we can either

1. declare a dependency on gtk-doc and add --enable-gtk-doc to build
or possibly rebuild the documentation,
2. declare a dependency on gtk-doc and not add --enable-gtk-doc, just
so gtkdoc-rebase exists and can be run (to no useful effect),
3. patch the Makefile(s) to use the "which" command in a way that is
compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.x and earlier, until new packages are
released built with gtk-doc 1.12 that do this for us, or
4. patch the Makefile(s) to remove the lines that check for gtkdoc-
rebase since we aready know we don't want to use it.

(1) is fine if the docs don't take long to build, (2) seems wasteful
but is easy, and (3) and (4) could be construed as being most correct
but take more time to do.