Problems with startup on OpenLDAP

Brian Topping topping at codehaus.org
Mon Apr 27 11:56:22 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I searched Trac for this and asked on IRC, hoping someone here has
some good info.  I've installed OpenLDAP and have it set up to run
from the command line properly, but over the course of a few months,
have found that my PostgreSQL starts properly via daemondo / launchd
and slapd does not.

Daemondo is running for the slapd process, but slapd is nowhere to be
found.

So I tried to hunt down the answer to this paradox over the last
several days with vigor and have come up empty.

Does anyone have a clue what I should start looking for?  The only
difference I can smell in this is that OpenLDAP is starting from the
command line as root and not starting via daemondo because it's trying
to launch as user 'ldap'.    But I can't find any logs that would
confirm this and thought I would ask here first.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Brian