gnome-menus v kde4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 27 12:02:47 PDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 11:02, Chris Jones wrote:

>> Probably not.
>> If you're trying to set up a complete desktop environment (this
>> file defines a desktop applications menu) then you probably need
>> to decide
>> whether you want to use gnome or kde.
>
> Technically, there is no reason why he cannot have gnome and KDE
> installed at the same time. LInux distros have been doing this for
> years ! If two ports include the same file, then that should be
> consider a bug I think ?

This is often a bug, IMHO. I try to file tickets in these cases, like
this one for hicolor-icon-theme vs. kdebase4-runtime:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18936

Unfortunately it was closed as "wontfix".

I don't know Gnome or KDE. It seems to me like they should be able to
install simultaneously. However, they cannot, currently, in MacPorts.
Someone with enough interest in fixing that situation would have to
volunteer to work on it, and coordinate with the existing Gnome and
KDE maintainers.