-universal versus universal_variant no

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Aug 1 11:22:12 PDT 2009

On 2009-8-2 03:50, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> Having "+universal" in your variants set should not affect ports with
> "uniersal_variant no" in them.  In other words, they should ignore that
> variant.
>
> I thought that this was resolved a month or two ago, but that doesn't
> seem to be the case.
>
> wine-devel is marked "uniersal variant no", but somehow "-arch x86_64"
> is creeping into CFLAGS.
>
> I even tried:
>     configure.cflags-delete "-arch x86_64"
>     configure.cxxflags-delete "-arch x86_64"
>     configure.ldflags-delete "-arch x86_64"
>     configure.cc-delete "-arch x86_64"
>
> but that is not preventing the problem.  the configure script is
> continuing to set that -arch flag even though it is not desired (from
> configure.log):
>
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -m32 -c -O2 -arch x86_64 -I/opt/local/include
> conftest.c >&5
>
> It is not setting the other archs, just the primary arch:
>
> $ grep univ /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
> universal_archs            x86_64 i386 ppc

This is unrelated to universal, it's the new build_arch stuff. If you
don't want to build for x86_64 in general, set build_arch to i386 in
macports.conf. If wine needs to always build for i386 regardless of what
build_arch is set to, use `configure.build_arch i386` in the portfile.

If you need to change the actual flags that are getting passed to the
configure script to tell it to build for $build_arch, change the
appropriate configure.${tool}_archflags, where $tool can be cc, cxx,
objc, f77, f90 or fc.

- Josh