1.8.1beta - build_arch x86_64

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 11 13:17:41 PDT 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 07:00, Damien Clauzel wrote:

> 2) compiling p5-locale-gettext, which is needed by a lot of ports :
> ___
>> checking for gettext... no
> checking for gettext in -I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib -
> lintl...gettext function not found. Please install libintl at
> Makefile.PL line 18.
>  no
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_
> p5-locale-gettext/work/gettext-1.05" && /opt/local/bin/perl
> Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor " returned error 2
> Command output: checking for gettext... no
>> ___
>
> But gettext is installed and runs fine (gettext @0.17_4 (active))
>

> For me, I seems that MacPorts is working fine with x86_64. Several
> important ports cannot be compiled in 64 bits, but MacPort doesn't
> look to be the one in fault here.
>

> Has anybody tried universal with only x86_64 and i386 for
> architecture ? Maybe there is a temporary solution in this direction.

I have observed the above before when x86_64 is included in the
universal_archs. gettext seems to build for all the requested archs,
but if it's 64-bit, any program you try to link to it can't find it.
I have seen this with many other programs so I assume the fault lies
in gettext. I have not contacted the developers of gettext about
this; this should probably be done.

I see at least one ticket for this issue in our issue tracker:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19381