[MacPorts] #20662: openjdk6_bootstrap contains only i386 binaries

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Thu Aug 13 11:18:40 PDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 14:04 , Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:
> 	Can anyone tell me if any other programs ported by MacPorts that is
> i386 only as implied in the reason for closing this ticket?

wine / wine-devel / wine-crossover-games are intrinsically x86 only,
for one obvious example.  openjdk is not intrinsically x86-only, as I
see Solaris SPARC support, but if there's no bootstrap binaries for
PPC then it's unlikely to be supported by MacPorts unless someone does
the work to bootstrap it.

It looks to me like any JDK 1.6 will work for bootstrapping, although
I'd be surprised if the port made any attempt to support anything
other than a fixed bootstrap, so someone who cared could build
openjdk6 PPC binaries using Sun JDK 1.6 and package them up as the PPC
openjdk6_bootstrap.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu