Trouble with sshfs, caused by macfuse

Damien Clauzel Damien at Clauzel.nom.fr
Thu Aug 13 16:01:57 PDT 2009

Le 14 août 09 à 00:38, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

>> MacFuse cannot be activated, because the filesystem module is
>> already provided by Google's preference panel.
>> By consequence, sshfs cannot be installed because the macfuse port
>> is not activated, although FUSE support is correctly provided.
>>
>> I can see 2 solutions for this :
>>
>> 	1) remove macfuse dependance from sshfs : possible, but not ideal
>> because sshfs wouldn't be working
>> 	2) create a placeholder macfuse port, that would represent the
>> fact that MacFuse is already present on the computer
>>
>> Any comments ?
>
> By design, MacPorts does not use libraries already installed on your
> computer.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs
>
> The solution is to remove the MacFuse you already have and let
> MacPorts install it.
Difficult, because as more and more applications need fuse (truecrypt,
for example), they provide it with their own installer.

The we have here problem is because macfuse wants to write some files
outsite the MacPort tree :
___
# port -d activate macfuse
--->  Activating macfuse
DEBUG: Image error: /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Contents/Info.plist
already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to
activate port macfuse.
     while executing
"_activate_contents $name $imagefiles $imagedir"
     (procedure "portimage::activate" line 56)
     invoked from within
"portimage::activate $portname [composite_version $portversion [array
get variations]] [array get options]"
Error: port activate failed: Image error: /Library/Filesystems/
fusefs.fs/Contents/Info.plist already exists and does not belong to a
registered port.  Unable to activate port macfuse.

___

No choice here : if you have to install macfuse because of a
dependance, you are forced to use the version provided by MacPorts.

That's very bad, because my existing version of macfuse is 2.1.5, and
macport provides version 1.7.1.

At least, there should be a way to install the macfuse port without
writing the module. That would fix the dependance problem for ports
relying on macfuse, without messing with the rest of the system.

Damien