Error installing rdiff-backup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 17 21:39:06 PDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 22:03, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:10 PM, S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:
>
>> looks like /opt/local/bin/xattr is also used by another port xattr,
>> and that port is already active. that's why you are getting this
>> message. you can active manualy py25-xattr by "sudo port -f activate
>> py25-xattr"
>
> It would be nice if ports could print out the versions in cases lke
> this. If they are equal, maybe it could just move along. A simple
> "yes, I want to overwrite", or a "no, I want to abort", could be a
> nice way of dealing with this.

That doesn't sound practical to me. Are you talking about the
versions of the ports? If so, port xattr is version 0.1 while port
py25-xattr is version 0.5. Or did you mean the versions of the xattr
program installed by both? There isn't any standard for figuring out
a program's version, and besides, the conflicting file might not be a
program; it might be a manpage or a header file or any other type of
file.

Even if they are the same version, by whatever criteria, how do you
know they are the same software? Ok, maybe you compute a checksum of
both files and discover they're identical. Ok, so then you allow,
say, py25-xattr to install without its xattr file and have it make
use of the xattr file provided by the xattr port. But no dependency
has been declared on the xattr port. What happens if now the user
uninstalls the xattr port? The py25-xattr port stops working.

No, I think our current strategy for this type of situation is fine.
Ideally there should be only one port that installs a given file.
Ports that violate this get tickets filed and assigned to both
maintainers so they can sort it out. Ports that can't fix such a
conflict will (as of MacPorts 1.8) be marked as conflicting in the
portfiles.