A different openjdk6 install problem

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Tue Aug 18 09:29:29 PDT 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 05:21 , David Rowe wrote:
> Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> . . . . . . . . .
>> What's on line 171 of that file?  On my system it's
>>
>> >     BYTE        bpad1;
>>
>> and BYTE is also used on prior lines, so apparently my shmproto.h
>> differs from yours.  Can you paste lines 165-178?
>>
> Here is the requested chunk of  /opt/local/include/X11/extensions/
> shmproto.h (with line numbers)
(same as mine, 1 line off)
> I have trouble understanding the error reports
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> Command output: /opt/local/include/X11/extensions/shmproto.h:171:
> warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> /opt/local/include/X11/extensions/shmproto.h:172: error: syntax
> error before 'bpad1'
> /opt/local/include/X11/extensions/shmproto.h:172: warning: type
> defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'bpad1'
> /opt/local/include/X11/extensions/shmproto.h:172: warning: data
> definition has no type or storage class
(...)
> The type 'BYTE' in line 171 (et.al.) might be a issue - I can't see
> where it is defined - but it didn't cause any problems on lines 166
> & 167 (and earlier in the file).
> I probably need to dig out my copy of K&R to follow this.

I would next check the output of cpp (given the same command line as
passed to gcc); off the top of my head, I'm wondering if "majorEvent"
was #define-d at some point, leading to parser confusion.  (Note the
first error is on line 171, the definition of
xShmCompletionEvent.majorEvent.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu