Building MacPorts on a Linux system

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Thu Aug 20 02:36:09 PDT 2009

I used to run macports on my debian box. It worked quite well but I
stopped because I did not find any way to use the system Xorg.

The packages I installed were mostly (debian packages, so probably
different on suse): libcurl3-gnutls, gobjc-4.4, gnustep-core-devel and
probably a few other that I don't remember. Then, you can install ports
that are not mac specific (all that is aqua is obviously out of
question) and will bump into problems for some portfiles that are
specifically designed for macs for lack of testers on other systems.

If you want to try another package manager that works on linux, osx and
bsd, you can have a look at pkgsrc (the ports collection from netbsd)
which works on the command-line (relies on bsdmake), seamlessly builds
packages and their dependencies from source, lets you locate your
packages and dependencies in an entirely self-contained way (everything
goes in /usr/pkg by default), works as well as macports.

Good luck,
Emmanuel

Citando Sumner Trammell :