php5

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Aug 20 11:19:00 PDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 01:06, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> On Aug 19, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>
>>> I installed php5 with imap, but it is not listed in phpInfo,
>>> testing a basic call:
>>>
>>> Fatal error: Call to undefined function imap_open() in /opt/local/
>>> apache2/htdocs/me/domain/test.php on line 5
>>>
>>> $port installed | grep php
>>> php5 @5.2.9_1+apache2+imap+macosx+mysql5+pspell+snmp+sqlite+tidy
>>> php5 @5.3.0_1+apache2+imap+macosx+mysql5+pspell+snmp+sqlite+tidy
>>> (active)
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> There seems to be a wholly new way of dealing with php, where do I
>> find out more about this?
>
> Do you mean the new php5 module ports I've been adding in #19091?

I suspect so. I just read it.

> I've added a php5-imap port, but haven't yet removed imap
> functionality from the php5 port. At least, I didn't think I had
> committed that yet.

Excuse any spelling or brevity, I am mobile.

So apparently there is now a way in php to add modules or features
without a recompile. I like this for many reasons. Namely, adding
something has less risk to mess up php, since you are not touching it.
Is that correct?

No more waits to rebuilt the whole kit?

So I ran port upgrade php5 +imap and restarted apache. I still did not
have imap. More curious is you can see my installed line above which
shows the imap variant in place. Any ideas?

I then just ran port instal php5-imap and php5-mcrypt. I did this on
two macines. Both now have imap. One asked me to delete a line about a
path.

Maybe better to suggest commenting the line. But also, why can't ports
just do that for me, or are there risks?

What I am not understanding is why a port installed | grep php shows
me the same lines as above in my OP.

I would think that with this new method it would just show php5 and no
variants. It would list the other installs that are seperate ports,
but doesn't the php5+foo+bar style installed list go away and I should
see:
php5
php5-whatever

What are you suggestions for getting my systems cleaned and using
entirely this new port group split port method?

I guess just uninstall and run:
port install php5
port install php5-whatever-I-need

Last question. On a production server, live, serving real hosts. Say I
need to update from php5.x to 5.3.x. It is also in the same state as
my OP. Can I uninstall, and as long as I don't restart apache, it
would still run in memory.

I then do my install work, then restart apache, and the new version
loads. I just want to make sure I can safely understand how to do in
place upgrades with no downtime.

I take it there is a mandated restart of apache for every php5-* I add
in?

Is there a php5-server port that would depend on a basic set of these
php5-*'s so I can get a pretty good development or server install
running without thinking much?

I was thinking mysql, gd, upload progress bar, mcrypt, zip
compression, sqlite, imap, tidy, spell, snmp, and probably a few
others, like postgress would cover it.

Thanks.
--
Scott