php5

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Aug 20 17:00:30 PDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 13:19, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Excuse any spelling or brevity, I am mobile.
>
> You were quite loquacious. :)

Just had to make me look that up :)

>> What I am not understanding is why a port installed | grep php
>> shows me the same lines as above in my OP.
>>
>> I would think that with this new method it would just show php5 and
>> no variants. It would list the other installs that are seperate
>> ports, but doesn't the php5+foo+bar style installed list go away
>> and I should see:
>> php5
>> php5-whatever
>
> The variants have been kept in the php5 port as stubs for now. If
> you select them, they advise you to install the separate module
> ports instead. This is so that users upgrading from the previous
> "monolithic" php5 port will not suddenly lose a lot of features they
> wanted and not know how to get them back.
>
> This is not entirely successful, though. I'm not only moving
> variants to module ports; I'm also moving some features that were
> previously always-on, and users get no notification of this, other
> than certain PHP functions no longer being available. I might have
> rethink this lack of notification, and remove all the stub variants
> and have php5 always print a message after install advising users to
> view the selection of module ports and install needed ones.

If I have the ability to just not care, and want to be as clean as I
can, what do I do?  sudo port uninstall all the php and apache stuff,
then a sudo port install apache2 and then sudo port install php5 and
from there just port install whatever php5-*'s I want to use?

Thanks for all your work on this, this to me, seems a much better way
to go.  Every time I had to go back and add in some library to php, I
worried.  It was a little rough for me to deal with on live servers,
where who knows if a config file will get nuked and need to be pulled
from a backup.

This seems a very nice way to go moving forward.