.htaccess Issues With Macports Apache Install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 28 04:17:45 PDT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 01:09, Steve Edwards wrote:

> In addition to that, extensions only work with separate .ini
> files.  For instance, xdebug will only work if I have xdebug.ini
> in /opt/local/var/db/php5.  If I have the xdebug settings in
> php.ini, they are not recognized.  They are only recognized in the
> xdebug.ini.  phpinfo shows a "Scan this dir for additional .ini
> files " setting with a value of /opt/local/var/db/php5, which
> apparently seems to mean that that directory has to be used.

I've been in the process of splitting the formerly monolithic php5
port into separate ports for each module. Along with that I added the
ability to load additional ini files from /opt/local/var/db/php5, and
each module port installs its own ini into that directory. The user
is not meant to modify this ini file (because the modifications would
be lost if the port were upgraded); rather, this ini file only
contains enough code to load the module (the "extension=something.so"
line).

There are some modules, like xdebug, which have additional settings
you're supposed to set in an ini, and I admit I had not played with
that yet. I would have expected to be able to set them in the primary
php.ini. And indeed it seems to work for me. For example, I install
php5-xdebug and restart my Apache and look at my phpinfo.php and see
that xdebug is now there and in its configuration variables it shows
that xdebug.auto_trace is off. I then add this line to the end of my /
opt/local/etc/php5/php.ini:

xdebug.auto_trace = On

and I restart my Apache again and I see that auto_trace is now on.