Non-working non-root install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 29 03:40:51 PDT 2009

I have been running a non-root installation of MacPorts 1.7.1 and
earlier with no problems. I use "port install foo" (without sudo) most
of the time. When I encounter the occasional port that really does
require root, then I use sudo.

I now have a non-root install of MacPorts 1.8.0 and Snow Leopard on a
clean drive and I am having problems.

First, MacPorts now tells me all the time "MacPorts running without
privileges. You may be unable to complete certain actions (eg
install)." Is there a way to get MacPorts to shut up about it? :) I
know what I'm doing and don't need to be reminded about it ten times
per port.

Second, every port I've tried so far fails to get through the install
phase, citing permission problems with manpages, presumably relating
to MacPorts' re-compressing of manpages. The latter is filed as

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20887

$ port install zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Computing dependencies for zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Fetching zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Extracting zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Applying patches to zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Configuring zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Building zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Staging zlib into destroot
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Installing zlib @1.2.3_2
Error: Target org.macports.install returned: could not set attributes
of "/mp/var/macports/software/zlib/1.2.3_2/mp/share/man/man3/zlib.
3.gz": permission denied
$

If I give up and use sudo after all, it fails with a different
permission error:

$ sudo port install zlib
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for zlib
--->  Fetching zlib
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zlib
--->  Extracting zlib
--->  Applying patches to zlib
--->  Configuring zlib
--->  Building zlib
--->  Staging zlib into destroot
--->  Installing zlib @1.2.3_2
Error: Target org.macports.install returned: could not set owner for
file "/mp/var/macports/software/zlib/1.2.3_2/mp/include/zconf.h": not
owner
$