libXext fails to build under Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 29 03:53:48 PDT 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 05:42, Artemio Gonzalez Lopez wrote:

> When trying to install libXext for Snow Leopard, I get the following
> error:
>
> --->  Building xorg-libXext
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg
> -libXext/work/libXext-1.0.99.4" && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned
> error 2
> Command output:   "_XFree", referenced from:
>     _XeviGetVisualInfo in XEVI.o
>     _XeviGetVisualInfo in XEVI.o
>     _XSecurityFreeXauth in XSecurity.o
>     _XcupStoreColors in Xcup.o
>     _XcupGetReservedColormapEntries in Xcup.o
>     _XcupGetReservedColormapEntries in Xcup.o
>     _XdbeFreeVisualInfo in Xdbe.o
>     _XdbeFreeVisualInfo in Xdbe.o
>     __xgeDpyClose in Xge.o
>     __xgeDpyClose in Xge.o
>     _XextAddDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextDestroyExtension in extutil.o
> "__XAllocScratch", referenced from:
>     _XShapeCombineRegion in XShape.o
> "_XIfEvent", referenced from:
>     _XTestWriteInputActions in XTestExt1.o
> "__Xglobal_lock", referenced from:
>     _XextFindDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextFindDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextRemoveDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextRemoveDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextRemoveDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextAddDisplay in extutil.o
>     _XextAddDisplay in extutil.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [libXext.la] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

> Does anybody know a fix for this?

I do not see any open tickets about xorg-libXext and it builds fine
for me.

What you showed above is not the first error because there were more
than 30 lines of error. You can use debug mode to show the full error.

But as with the issue you encountered with ffmpeg, I believe this is
because you have ports that were originally installed with Leopard
(specifically with build_arch i386) and are now trying to install new
ports with Snow Leopard (specifically with build_arch x86_64). You
need to uninstall all ports and reinstall them.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration