MacPorts 1.8.0

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 04:04:43 PDT 2009

On 29 Aug 2009, at 11:47, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2009, at 05:45, Mark Hattam wrote:
>

>> Hmmm ... since I did a
>> sudo port upgrade outdated
>> which although it appeared to "skip" several things due to not
>> having known in advance to specify --enforce-variants (let alone in
>> the correct manner) seems to have upgraded the ports.
>>
>> So now I have no ports outdated ... and therefore I can't now do
>> sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants outdated
>> as there are no outdated ports to upgrade.
>>
>> So what became of the "skipped" items?
>
> They were skipped. :)
>

>> Do they matter?
>
> It means the set of variants recorded in the registry for the
> installed port do not match the set of variants MacPorts would
> select if you installed the port today. If the variants differ by
> anything other than "+darwin" you should probably rebuild.
>

>> (this is probably going to be a moot issue as SnowLeopard arrived
>> in the post this morning, so it's all going to get a rebuild anyway
>> - but not now as it's almost time to go to work)
>
> True.
>

>> So when I rebuild everything under 10.6, do I have to specify
>> +darwin for lots of ports to avoid this --enforce-variants message
>> in the future, or is +darwin now assumed by the ports that need it?
>
> Ports always have and continue to use +darwin if needed. MacPorts
> 1.7.1 and earlier had a bug (or unintended behavior) that the
> +darwin variant was not recorded in the registry. In MacPorts 1.8.0
> all variants are recorded in the registry.

These were the two bursts of "skipping" ... first for MySQL5 then for
php5. I presume that when I upgrade Apache later on to 2.2.13 and if
I'm careful to remember the --enforce-variants option, that one will
be solved.

Warning: Skipping upgrade since openssl 0.9.8k_0 >= openssl 0.9.8k_0,
even though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin". Use 'upgrade
--enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
Warning: Skipping upgrade since readline 6.0.000_1 >= readline
6.0.000_1, even though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin".
Use 'upgrade --enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
--->  Computing dependencies for mysql5

Warning: Skipping upgrade since bzip2 1.0.5_2 >= bzip2 1.0.5_2, even
though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin". Use 'upgrade --
enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
Warning: Skipping upgrade since apache2 2.2.11_0 >= apache2 2.2.11_0,
even though installed variants "+darwin_9" do not match "+darwin
+darwin_9". Use 'upgrade --enforce-variants' to switch to the
requested variants.
--->  Computing dependencies for php5

Mark