/usr/local?

David J. Haines daveesq at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 15:15:50 PDT 2009

So, I tried installing 1.8.0 from source to /usr/local, and it's
apparently "not supported."  I understand fully that doing so has
never been recommended, and I understand why, but disallowing the user
the option to do so?  That's just not right.  The "--prefix" flag is
there so that people *can* install it to where ever they damn well
please.  I can't say that this is a good move, and I'd ask that the
ability to install it to /usr/local be reinstated.

David Haines
dhaines at gmail.com