/usr/local?

David J. Haines daveesq at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:36:42 PDT 2009

That's exactly what I was talking about.  I understand the potential
problems, but that's OK with me (and, presumably others like me).  If
one is savvy enough to be using the "--prefix" flag, one should be
willing to put up with the potential problems doing so entails.
Perhaps a warning - even one saying that such installs are unsupported
- would be in order  but outright denying such installs isn't.

David