php5-mysql - what satisfies the dependency

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 30 19:39:18 PDT 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 12:08, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2009-08-30 , at 08:12 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I can't either. It doesn't do that for me. [1]
>>
>> Have you considered using php5-mysql's default variant +mysqlnd
>> instead of the +mysql5 variant? mysqlnd doesn't require the use of
>> any MySQL libraries.
>
> The PHP5 and MySQL set has been, uhh, problematic, for the last
> couple of months.

I apologize for any problems you encountered but I did go to
considerable efforts to ensure the transition would be smooth, and I
haven't heard of too many problems that occurred as a result. Your
mysql5/mysql5-devel dependency issues I cannot explain or reproduce.

> PHP5.2 vs PHP5.3, all of the movement to php5-xxx, the switch to
> mysql5-server vs. mysql5 +server
>
> I had tried mysqlnd before it was ready.
>
> I only have these MySQL/PHP5 versions installed ;-)
>
>  mysql5 @5.0.83_0
>  mysql5-devel @5.1.34_0+server
>  mysql5-devel @5.1.35_0
>  mysql5-devel @5.1.35_0+server
>  mysql5-devel @5.1.36_0
>  mysql5-devel @5.1.37_0
>  mysql5-devel @5.1.37_1 (active)
>  mysql5-server-devel @5.1.35_1
>  mysql5-server-devel @5.1.36_0
>  mysql5-server-devel @5.1.37_0 (active)
>
>  php5 @5.2.9_2+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear
>  php5 @5.2.9_3+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear
>  php5 @5.2.10_0+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear
>  php5 @5.2.10_1+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear
>  php5 @5.3.0_0+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear
>  php5 @5.3.0_1+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear (active)
>  php5 @5.3.0_1+apache2+macosx+pear
>  php5 @5.3.0_2+apache2+macosx+mysql5+pear

Ok. Feel free to uninstall the older versions of ports, unless you
think you might go back to them.

> I am now doing - php5 @5.3.0_2 +apache2 +pear
> which I will follow with php5-mysql
>
> and see if my Wordpress sites and phpMyAdmin still function.
>
> Nope - any attempts to use PHP crash apache.

This is the first I've heard of a PHP/MySQL-related crash. Could you
provide more information about the crash? What does the crash log say?

> I'm going to rebuild the entire show when I do Snow Leopard.
> Wondering if I should get off of "trunk" and onto a standard release
> of MacPorts? ;-)

Using MacPorts 1.8.0 would ensure you're using a supposedly known-good
setup that a lot of other people are using.