openssl failing to link against libz

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:38:28 PDT 2009

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and tried to install opensvn2.  Here's
the output from "sudo port install openvpn2":

Warning: Skipping upgrade since openssl 0.9.8k_0 >= openssl 0.9.8k_0,
even though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin". Use 'upgrade
--enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.

*snip*

configure: checking for OpenSSL Crypto Library and Header files...
checking openssl/evp.h usability... yes
checking openssl/evp.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/evp.h... yes
checking for EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init in -lcrypto... no
configure: error: OpenSSL Crypto library not found.

Next I follow the warning's advice and run the following command:

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants openssl

Here's what happens:

--->  Computing dependencies for openssl
--->  Building openssl
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_trunk_dports_devel_openssl/work/openssl-0.9.8k"
&& /usr/bin/make all " returned error 2
Command output: ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is not
of required architecture
Undefined symbols:

I saw this thread:
http://www.nabble.com/-MacPorts---19868:-OpenSSL-conflict-with-zlib-architecture-td23884432.html

But following the advice of upgrading to subversion trunk didn't help
me.  Any clues on what's going wrong here?

-Zack