Trying to rebuild on 10.6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 17:40:52 PDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 17:31, Mark Hattam wrote:

> [Time Machined the 10.5.8 before I started ... whew !!]
>
> Installed Snowleopard on my 3GHz iMac
>
> installed XCode 3.2 from the SnowLeopard DVD
>
> installed SnowLeopard .dmg of MacPorts 1.8
>
> typed the suggested one line upgrade command from http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
> sudo port upgrade --force installed
>
> it started OK, but then stopped ...
>

> --->  Activating libiconv @1.13_0
> --->  Cleaning libiconv
> --->  Computing dependencies for db46
> --->  Fetching db46
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for db46
> --->  Extracting db46
> --->  Applying patches to db46
> --->  Configuring db46
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_databases_db46
> /work/db-4.6.21/build_unix" && ../dist/configure --prefix=/opt/local
> --enable-cxx --enable-java --includedir=\${prefix}/include/db46 --
> libdir=\${prefix}/lib/db46 --program-transform-name="s,^db,db46," --
> enable-dump185 --disable-tcl " returned error 1
> Command output: configure: creating ./config.status
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
> Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/grep

You have the grep port installed. db46 (and a whole lot of other
software) uses grep at some point during configuration and doesn't
care what version of grep is used, therefore there is no dependency on
the grep port. To be most correct, the port should list
"bin:grep:grep" as a build dependency, but probably half our tree has
that issue, and grep isn't the only culprit: gawk and gsed are common
offenders too.

grep needs libiconv, and your libiconv has already been rebuilt as 64-
bit but your grep is still 32-bit. Therefore your grep cannot use it,
and tries to use the system's libiconv in /usr/lib. But the system's
libiconv is too old, hence the error:

> Reason: Incompatible library version: grep requires version 8.0.0 or
> later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 7.0.0

The solution is to upgrade grep (and gawk and gsed if you have them)
first. Then clean db46 (or whatever other port you got stuck on) and
try again. I will add this information to the Migration wiki page.