tcptraceroute 1.5b7 on Snow Leopard

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Dec 1 14:23:58 PST 2009

I sort of ran into this a while ago, in that I was not able to
troubleshoot things due to all the reasons that tcptraceroute exists.

Does the -P flag to the built in traceroute not suffice for you?

I have settled on mtr (sudo port install mtr) for my tracing needs, it
seems to be a much more visual and better way to research source and
destination packets.

For what it is worth, on a Intel MacBook:
   tcptraceroute @1.5beta7_1 (active)

I was able to get it installed.
   libpcap @1.0.0_0 (active)
   libnet11 @1.1.4_0 (active)

Strange that tcptraceroute needs root to run...
mtr google.com
  I got a full answers in 1.5 seconds or so.

I did get tcptraceroute to work:
http://www.pastie.org/722620

But, using your command:
sudo tcptraceroute -d mail.google.com 443

Looks common enough:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=debug%3A+null+pointer+from+pcap_next%28%29&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I suggest you take that issue to the tcptraceroute mailing list, it
does not look to be related to MacPorts.

Sorry I could not be of more help. Maybe mtr will work for you in the
meantime.