Why doesn't macports install prebuild packages?

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 22:22:48 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2009-11-30 20:28, Jasper Frumau wrote:
> > Well, but who has the authority to choose the packaging format?
>
> Whoever does the work, really.
>
> > And how
> > many base developers does Mac Ports have at its disposal at the moment?
>
> Hard question to answer meaningfully (beyond "not a lot"), but as a
> rough metric, here are the commit counts to trunk/base in the last year:
>
> jmr at macports.org        259
> toby at macports.org       145
> raimue at macports.org     121
> blb at macports.org        79
> perry at macports.org      40
> ryandesign at macports.org 34
> afb at macports.org        20
> snc at macports.org        13
> jmpp at macports.org       7
> wsiegrist at apple.com     6
> gwhitney at macports.org   5
> anddam at macports.org     4
> pguyot at kallisys.net     3
> nox at macports.org        3
> jeremyhu at macports.org   3
> jberry at macports.org     3
> dluke at macports.org      2
> simon at macports.org      1
> mww at macports.org        1
> mcalhoun at macports.org   1
> jkh at apple.com           1
> eridius at macports.org    1
> and.damore at macports.org 1
> alakazam at macports.org   1
>
> > These would be my next questions to keep this discussion going and
> > hopefully to get this repository project of the ground..
>
> I should note at this point that there are a lot of bits and pieces of
> the functionality already around. See for example:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MPAB>
> <http://github.com/febeling/portmill>
>
> Note also that the images-and-archives branch created to work on
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19458> is probably where you would want
> to be working if you were to add code to download archives.

Thanks for the insight Josh. About 25 base developers I see. Not that many,
but enough to get the job done I'd say.  Also good to see there are bits and
pieces of useful code lying around. And if this idea was raised about 7
years ago we should be able to get something going by now. I saw a few other
discussions started up and I will join them when I think I can contribute to
them. I hope other base developers will do so too.

Jasper