Python conflict

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 2 10:03:13 PST 2009

I am trying to use a binary package that also relies on python.  But it seems to expect the default apple python to be installed.  So, I have run:
sudo python_select  python26-apple

Yet when I run the binary, I see the following:
Python 2.5.4 found.

Or, if I run a different version of the binary, I see:
Python 2.6.4 found.

The apple version that is installed on my system (10.6.2) is 2.6.1 while macports has installed 2.5.4 and 2.6.4.  So, it seems that the application that I am running is finding the macports versions and not the apple version even though I have run python_select.

I have macports 1.8.1 and have done a recent sync.  The application that I am trying to run is GRASS and I have been using this set of binaries:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:grass
(although I also tried this one:  http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_mac )

The problem comes up when I am trying to use their wxpython interface.  These two builds include wxpython and expect to use the system version of python, I was told.  But clearly something is funny if I run python_select for the apple version yet they are finding the macports python.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--Adam