where does macports store it's installed application database?

Jean-Denis Muys jdmuys at kleegroup.com
Thu Dec 10 07:08:31 PST 2009

On 12/10/09 2:07 , "Panayotis Katsaloulis" <panayotis at panayotis.com> wrote:

> With Obj-C I am tied up to Mac platform, which is something I hate (since I've
> changed so so many platforms from my day-1 in computers).

This is not strictly true. Obj-C is in the GCC common tree. Even large parts
of Cocoa are available on a cross platform basis in the GnuStep project. But
of course what is largely true is that you would be feel a bit lonely on
other platforms with Obj-C.

Regarding the point that Mac Apps don't have to look (or behave) like Mac
Apps, the reverse is true: while strictly true, in effect you will have a
very hard time convincing Mac users to use your app if it doesn't look and
feel like a Mac App. And the day when a well-behaved, complete alternative
exists, your app will loose many, perhaps most, of its users.

I'd contend you don't want to fight that up-hill battle.

Overall I'd say too that it doesn't make much sense to use Java for a
Mac-only app today. As another point in case, Cocoa-Java has been deprecated
for several years, and as you may know, has been removed from Snow Leopard.

JD