segfault with python/numpy array multiplication

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Thu Dec 17 13:58:08 PST 2009

I am experiencing a segmentation fault when running the following script
using Macports python + numpy:

#!/usr/bin/env python
"""
segfaults with numpy.dot for reasonably sized arrays
"""
import numpy as np
n = 60
B = np.dot( np.random.rand(n,n), np.random.rand(n,n+1))
print(B.shape)

The segfault occurs at the matrix multiplication ('dot') line for n >
51.  This runs fine on an Ubuntu system.  Multiplying square matrices
also works fine from what I can tell.  I am using py25-numpy on Tiger
(10.4.11).  Can anyone else reproduce this in macports?  I wonder if
there is a bug with some dependency or whatnot, maybe atlas.

Thanks,
Jonathan