ImageMagick Problem: Converting from PDF to EPS

Xin Liu smilerliu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 08:10:35 PST 2009

Hi,

I have a drawing in PDF, which is generated by PDFCreator from a Visio
drawing in Windows. When I convert it to eps using "convert a.pdf
a.eps", it looks like a low-resolution bitmap and the PDF's page size
is kept (i.e., there is a lot of white space). It used to be good,
i.e., the produced eps file looks as smooth as the original PDF file,
and the large white margin in the original PDF file is eliminated.
Does anyone have the same problem? Any clue where the problem is?
Since ImageMagick uses ghostscript to handle PDF/eps, it might be a
ghostscript problem as well...

I've confirmed my PDF file is OK, because the conversion goes well
when I use the ImagickMagick bundled with Ubuntu-8.04.

My configuration: Snow Leopard running in 32-bit mode, MacPorts-1.8.1,
ImageMagick @6.5.8-0_1+q16 (active), ghostscript @8.70_1 (active).

Best
Regards,

Xin Liu