Erlang Build Failing on configure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 20 17:45:42 PST 2009

On Dec 20, 2009, at 17:39, Robert Sanford wrote:

> Running Snow Leopard on MacBookPro 2,2 (32 bit Core2Duo).

FYI, the Core2Duo is a 64-bit processor.

> It says that SMP Emulator was enabled by user but I didn't explicitly enable anything.

It was enabled by the portfile on your behalf.

> I'm clueless and any help is much appreciated.
>
> rjsjr
>
> Macintosh-2:~ wobbet$ sudo port install erlang
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for erlang
> --->  Configuring erlang
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_erlang/work/erlang-R13B02"

[snip]

Your port definitions are out of date; the portfile was updated to R13B03 a week ago. The way to fix that would be to selfupdate:

sudo port selfupdate

> checking whether an emulator with smp support should be built... yes; enabled by user
> configure: error: cannot build smp enabled emulator since no thread library was found

I see the same error on Snow Leopard with R13B03 as you did with R13B02 -- when trying to build erlang universal x86_64/i386. I requested for universal builds to occur by default on my MacPorts installation by putting "+universal" in my variants.conf; perhaps you did the same? The port builds fine if I don't do a universal build, e.g.

sudo port clean erlang
sudo port install erlang -universal

Please file a ticket in the issue tracker for this problem so the port's maintainer can fix it (either by fixing the universal build or by disabling it).