Accessing user command list????

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 23:41:17 PST 2009

You're welcome Ronnie. No need to remove Mac Ports just yet. There are many
ways to savely use the command line tool to handle Mac Ports. Some tips can
be found here: http://guide.macports.org/ . And all the way through the
learning process you can write to macports-users at lists.macosforge.org for
help and guidance. The command:
sudo port -v selfupdate
is very save and is just used to update Mac Ports before you start using it
to install software and so on. But don't just listen to me and ask the mail
list where many experienced Mac users are there to help you. What were you
planning to use Mac Ports for?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Ronnie Grubaugh <ronnie at wcc.net> wrote:

> So there is no menu or application to open and find a menu, and the only
way to exercise any commands or options within Macports, is through the
terminal application. I have been in the computer age for one year, this
month and have always read that you need to be very experienced, before
fooling with terminal commands. Maybe I need to learn how to uninstall
Macports. The last thing I want to do, is end up with a serious problem.
Thank you Jasper for your help, Ronnie G.
> On Dec 22, 2009, at 12:56 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:
>
> Use the application terminal (command line tool) listed under applications
in your Mac, type the command and press enter. To learn how to use the
terminal type help and press enter. To learn more about mac ports type man
port and enter.

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Ronnie Grubaugh <ronnie at wcc.net> wrote:
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Ronnie Grubaugh <ronnie at wcc.net>
>> Date: December 22, 2009 12:20:39 AM CST
>> To: MacPorts <macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org>
>> Subject: Accessing user command list????
>>
>> I have installed Mac ports, but I can't find or figure out how to access
user command list or menu. Please tell me how to access user option menu, or
whatever it is called?. Because it says the first command to exercise
is sudo port -v selfupdate, and I have no idea where such a command exist.
Your help would be greatly appreciated thank you, Ronnie G.