general question

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Dec 22 06:56:48 PST 2009

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs

> - do the multiple installations of python cause problems?

probably not, you just have to remember which python you're using (with careful ordering of your $PATH or using the full path to python for example).

> - why is GCC 4.3 installed when the computer already comes with GCC 4.2?

It isn't always installed, it was probably installed because you tried to install something that requires gcc-4.3

> - If I install something with easy_install does that play nice with the Macport installations?

You will probably be happier if you use MacPorts to install everything - it can't help you with things you install yourself outside of MacPorts (for example: if you did install something that linked to MacPorts provided software, MacPorts doesn't know this and will let you remove the software that your external software depends on without warning you)

--
Daniel J. Luke