Accessing user command list????

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 07:06:20 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Ronnie Grubaugh <ronnie at wcc.net> wrote:

> I've been reading about open source software and found it interesting,
> mostly because it's not controlled by corporations, and I thought or assumed
> through my understanding, that Mac ports is if not necessary, needed to
> expedite and apply open source software with my Mac OSx 10.6.2 system. Is my
> interpretation correct?

That is partly correct. Mac Ports is used to for the use of OS packages on
your Mac. Packages that are Unix or Linux based Open Source programs. But
quite a few open source packages can be downloaded and installed directly
from the web as well. Take Gimp for instance. There is a Mac package (.dmg
image) online for you to download and install effortlessly and there is a
Mac Port for it as well See http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/ . It offers
information on Gimp using Mac Ports and just by grabbing the application
bundle and installing it like a regular program.  I used the .dmg. Just
download it and double click it and you can install a great Open Source
Graphics editor.

For OS packages like Gimp and all packages you can install via Mac Ports you
do need X11. See http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki for information on
it. In brief it is the GUI that is needed to run OS Linux/UNIX based
software on a Mac. Maybe you already installed it..

Obviously you can tell I am a newbie and still have a lot of needed