Biggles strikes again

David Nicholls david at mso.anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 29 02:38:16 PST 2009

One problem fixed, now back to the biggles glitch...

I've successfully installed Python 2.6.4, py26-numpy, py26-biggles,
matplotlib, and a host of associated stuff.

The correct version of Macports Python (2.6.4) works well with
matplotlib, but I'm still having the same problem as before  with
biggles.  When I run any of the test programs in the biggles sourceforge
site, python crashes after giving the message:

libplot: ignoring request to create plotter of unknown type
Bus error

 From a bit if googling I suspect the problem may be an x11 problem.

So I stepped through the first test program and it appears that the line
that triggers the problem is

p.show()

which I believe is an x11 call.

I'm using XQuartz 2.4.0 (xorg-server 1.5.3-apple14) rather than the
default x11 that comes with Leopard 10.5.8

This may be a plotutils problem.  Plotutils has two variants, universal
(which I have installed) and x11.

Yesterday, when I tried installing the x11 variant things started to
break.  Anything which invoked an x11 application (eg xgterm) locked
into a loop of x11.bin crashes/restarts.

One sensible sounding explanation on the apple forums suggested that the
  Macport x11 installs might have borked the x11 existing install.  So I
reinstalled the 10.5.8 combo update and then XQuartz 2.4.0 and things
worked again.

Since then, I've sucessully installed Python 2.6.4, py26-biggles etc.
But the (x11?) problem still remains.

If I point .profile to the non-macports Python install, with an apparent
ly OK install of Biggles (I can import it) I get an x11.bin crash instead.

Can anyone think of a way to get biggles not to crash either Python or x11?

:-)

DN