openssh (sshd) password authentication not working

Alan gorzarg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:25:41 PST 2009

Hi,

Openssh (sshd) is not letting me log in with password authentication.
I installed openssh with macports. I then ran the following command
(as mentioned by macports after it installed openssh):

$ sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.OpenSSH.plist

which loads sshd at startup. I saw that /opt/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config
has the port set to 2222, so I proceeded with:

$ ssh -p 2222 localhost

Typing in my password failed (3 times), and it outputted the following error:

"Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive)."

Playing around with settings in /opt/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config hasn't
worked. The only options set in /opt/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config are:

Port 2222
Protocol 2
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no
KerberosAuthentication no
UsePAM no
Subsystem       sftp    /opt/local/libexec/sftp-server

Any ideas on how to get password authentication working? Are there
additional settings I need to configure to get sshd working?

Thanks,
Alan