MySQL 5 and MySQL 5.1 installed concurrently

Michael J. I. Jackson mjijackson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 20:44:54 PST 2009

Is it possible to install the mysql5 and mysql5-devel ports concurrently on
the same box? I had 5.0 installed, but then decided I'd like to try 5.1. So
I deactivated the mysql port and installed mysql-devel. However, it appears
that the install location for 5.1 is exactly the same as 5 so the two cannot
coexist on the same machine.

If someone would please confirm this, that would be great. If you could tell
me how to confirm it for myself so I don't have to bother you next time,
that would be even better. ;)

Michael