MySQL 5 and MySQL 5.1 installed concurrently

Michael J. I. Jackson mjijackson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 11:02:29 PST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 11:44 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2009, at 22:44, Michael J. I. Jackson wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to install the mysql5 and mysql5-devel ports
>> concurrently on the same box? I had 5.0 installed, but then decided
>> I'd like to try 5.1. So I deactivated the mysql port and installed
>> mysql-devel. However, it appears that the install location for 5.1
>> is exactly the same as 5 so the two cannot coexist on the same
>> machine.
>>
>> If someone would please confirm this, that would be great. If you
>> could tell me how to confirm it for myself so I don't have to
>> bother you next time, that would be even better. ;)
>
> You can have both mysql5 and mysql5-devel installed at the same
> time, but not active at the same time. The same goes for any other
> foo/foo-devel port combination.
>
> If you have mysql5 installed and would like to try mysql5-devel
> instead, you would need to
>
> sudo port deactivate mysql5
> sudo port install mysql5-devel +server
>
> In this particular case (mysql5 5.0.x and mysql5-devel 5.1.x) you
> would also need to rebuild any programs (such as php5) that use the
> mysql library, because the version number of the library has
> changed. Otherwise you will find that php will complain about not
> being able to find the (old) mysql5 library. To rebuild php5:
>
> sudo port -nf upgrade php5
>
> Some ports may not know about mysql5-devel and still try to depend
> exclusively on mysql5. For example, if you've installed mysql5-devel
> as above, and then try to install a port that requires mysql5,
> you'll get an error as it tries to activate mysql5 but can't because
> mysql5-devel is already active. Usually this is a bug, which should
> be filed against that port so that the dependency can be rewritten
> so that either mysql5 or mysql5-devel can be used.

Is this the case for rb-mysql?

I have both mysql5 and mysql5-devel installed as you stated above,
with mysql5-devel active and mysql5 deactivated. When I try and
install rb-mysql, it immediately fetches mysql5 and starts rebuilding
it (even though it's already installed, just inactive). Looking at the
Portfile (http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/ruby/rb-mysql/Portfile
) the only relevant line I can see is the following:

depends_lib             port:mysql5

So I guess there are three questions here: 1) Why would rb-mysql start
rebuilding mysql5 if it's already been installed? 2) Should a bug be
filed against rb-mysql to modify it so it can use mysql5-devel as
well? 3) What can I do in the mean time to get rb-mysql working with
mysql5-devel?