Ruby 1.9 help bug

joseph davison jwdavison at mac.com
Mon Feb 9 15:28:58 PST 2009

Hi,
    I installed ruby19 and am learning to use it.

There's a bug/problem;  Here's an irb1.9 session that shows it:
jason(s002)[2005]% irb1.9
irb(main):001:0> help :help
NameError: undefined method `execute' for module
`IRB::ExtendCommand::Help'
	from (eval):4:in `instance_method'
	from (eval):4:in `irb_help'
	from (irb):1
	from /opt/local/bin/irb1.9:12:in `<main>'
irb(main):002:0> quit

You probably also want to see:

jason(s002)[2008]% ruby1.9 --version
ruby 1.9.1 (2008-12-01 revision 20438) [i386-darwin9]

After writing that,

I did a port selfupdate and a port upgrade ruby19  (and, since it
seemed to reinstall  both macports and ruby1.9, I figured  something
changed.)
Then I ran the test again and got the same results, and  -- and the
version information didn't change...
macports base version 1.700 is what is there now (and was before, I
believe)

Ah - I see it upgraded libiconv and openssl
problem is still there.

joe