How to specify (default) compiler options and choose which compiler

Ceriel Jacobs cerieljacobs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 04:06:24 PST 2009

Op 16 feb 2009, om 22:21 heeft Marcus Calhoun-Lopez het volgende
geschreven:
> WARNING:
> All of the things I am about to mention could very easily break
> a MacPorts installation and should not be implemented lightly.
You can say that again.

I was trying to build postgresql83 with this command:
$ sudo /opt/local/bin/port -v install postgresql83 +universal
configure.compiler=gcc-4.2 configure.optflags=-fast configure.m64=yes
configure.march=nocona

The process hung (overnight) at run_tic.sh [1] which was related to
ncurses dependancy, which is a dependancy of readline dependancy,
which is a postgresql83 dependancy.

With help of -v verbose output and Rainer Müller's comment I decided
to change two default values in
> ${prefix}/share/macports/Tcl/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl

for the compiler; "darwin 9" { set compiler gcc-4.2 }
and for the optflag; default configure.optflags {-fast}

-m64 doesn't seem needed to be specified, it was now often double in
commands listed in the verbose output.

One command was decided to be kept on the port command line:
configure.march=nocona.

Also when switching portconfigure.tcl back to gcc-4.0 / -O2
$ sudo /opt/local/bin/port -v install ncurses +universal
(universal=x86_64) hangs.

Uninstalling & cleaning: ncursesw & ncurses doesn't improve, ncurses
still hangs at executing run_tic.sh [2]

~Ceriel

[1]---
DESTDIR=/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot-x86_64 \
	prefix=/opt/local \
	exec_prefix=/opt/local \
	bindir=/opt/local/bin \
	top_srcdir=.. \
	srcdir=. \
	datadir=/opt/local/share \
	ticdir=/opt/local/share/terminfo \
	source=terminfo.tmp \
	THIS_CC="/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -m64" \
	THAT_CC="/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -m64" \
	/bin/sh ./run_tic.sh
** Building terminfo database, please wait...
Running tic to install /opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot-x86_64/opt/
local/share/terminfo ...

	You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g., AX.
	These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
	using
		tic -x
	If you have ncurses 4.2 applications, you should read the INSTALL
	document, and install the terminfo without the -x option.
^C
[2]---
mkdir /opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot-x86_64/opt/
local/share/tabset
DESTDIR=/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot-x86_64 \
	prefix=/opt/local \
	exec_prefix=/opt/local \
	bindir=/opt/local/bin \
	top_srcdir=.. \