qt4-mac dependencies - 2 RDBMS?

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Tue Feb 17 16:09:41 PST 2009

Rainer Müller <raimue <at> macports.org> writes:

> It makes sense to exclude heavy-weight dependencies from the default
> install and provide them as variants. It's not easy to define
> heavy-weight, this is a decision the maintainer has to make.
>
> For example, requiring texlive as a build dependency only to provide a
> documentation which can also be read online somewhere is not reasonable.
> But for users who still want this locally a +docs variant can be provided.
>
> > To answer your point, however, it seems there was no reason for the
> > postgresql and mysql changes
> > other than to provide full functionality without variants.
>
> I consider both mysql and postgresql as heavy-weight
I would respectfully disagree.
Qt takes hours to build (at least on my machine).
In comparison, neither mysql nor postgresql takes very long.

> If you would always go for "full functionality"
> there wouldn't be any variants at all.
Even with full functionality, qt4-mac has a variant to change the
html rendering engine.
Other ports use variants to choose fortran compiler to use,
the python installation to use, etc.

> I would suggest to move the mysql and postgresql dependencies back to
> variants.
It still seems to me that qt4-mac is fine as it is.

-Marcus