mercurial: "hg convert" cannot find `svn' python bindings

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Mon Feb 23 08:28:15 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:19:52AM -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>>> am I missing something or is it a bug??
>>
>> Looks like something needs to depend on py25-socket-ssl?
>

> I would think that it would be mercurial that needs it, since you can do

thank's for responding.

> 'import svn' from python and it works enough for trac and to pass its
> test suite without that being installed).

unfortenuately, I'm rather clueless where the problem actually is.
I just want to import some svn-managed stuff to mercurial.
to be sure that I'm not using it incorrectly I tried the same
on an ubuntu box: there, the identical call to `hg convert' succeeded
(pointing it to the local working copy of the svn-repo).

now,  _if_ mercurial depends on py25-socket-ssl (as it seems), should this
not be a dependency of mercurial, since the `convert' extension is installed
together with  mercurial?

next thing is,  although, I _did_ install py25-socket-ssl, my problem did not go
away. so my question is: can someone please confirm the reported behaviour
(i.e. `hg convert -s svn {path_to_some_svn_manganged_stuff}' does give an

"Subversion python bindings could not be loaded"

error)?

last [not least :-)]: how can I get it running?

many thanks

joerg